Release Date: 07/17/18
This collection brings together Women is the Future of Man and Tale of Cinema, the fifth and sixth films by Hong Sangsoo, the masterful South Korean filmmaker who has been favorably compared to that great French observer of human foibles, Eric Rohmer.
Women is the Future of Man tells of two long-time friends, a filmmaker (Kim Taewoo) and a teacher (Yoo Jitae), who have had an affair with the same woman (Sung Hyunah). The friends decide to meet the girl one more time and see what happens...
Tale of Cinema uses the trope of a film within a film to tell two stories, that of a depressive young man (Lee Kiwoo) who forms a suicide pact with a friend (Uhm Jiwon); and the tale of a filmmaker (Kim Sangkyung) who sees see a film that he believes was based on his life, and who meets the actress from the film with view to turning their onscreen relationship into reality.
With these critically-acclaimed films, presented here in High Definition for the first time with a wealth of extras, Hong Sangsoo employs his idiosyncratic, measured style to create two compelling and truthful tapestries of human emotion and behaviour.
|Label: Arrow Academy|
|Run Time: 178 mins|
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio
- Newly translated optional English subtitles
- Newly filmed introductions to both films by Asian cinema expert Tony Rayns
- Interviews with Kim Sangkyung, Lee Kiwoo and Uhm Jiwon, the stars of Tale of Cinema
- Introduction to Woman is the Future of Man by director Martin Scorsese
- The Making Woman is the Future of Man, a featurette on the filmâs production
- Interviews with the actors of Woman is the Future of Man
- Stills gallery
- Original trailers
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Scott Saslow
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the films by Michael Sicinski
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.