Release Date: 01/30/24
A lone survivor from a British naval ship is obsessed with getting revenge on the German U-boat crew that massacred his shipmates
WORLD WAR TWO IS ENDING, WORLD WAR MURPHY HAS JUST BEGUN...
Iconic actor Peter O'Toole (Lawrence of Arabia, The Stunt Man) joins forces with director Peter Yates (Bullit, The Friends of Eddie Coyle) in this blisteringly acerbic, wildly entertaining film about the absurdity of war.
During the last days of WWII, the merchant ship 'Mount Kyle' is sunk by a German U-boat off the coast of Venezuela and the sailors machine-gunned in the water. Only Murphy (O'Toole) survives, making his way to shore where he is nursed to health by Dr. Hayden (Sian Phillips), a pacifist Quaker who runs a missionary settlement near the mouth of the Orinoco River. When Murphy discovers that the U-boat is now hiding further up the river using the jungle for cover, he becomes obsessed with retribution and begins a one man war to sink the German U-boat, no matter the cost.
With a script by Stirling Silliphant (In the Heat of the Night, The Poseidon Adventure), cinematography by the legendary Douglas Slocombe (The Italian Job, Raiders of the Lost Ark) and a supporting cast that includes Philippe Noiret (La Grande Bouffe, Cinema Paradiso) and Horst Janson (Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter, Shout at the Devil), Murphy's War is an underseen gem.
|Label: Arrow Video|
|Run Time: 107 mins|
- High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
- Original lossless mono audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Running Out of War, a new visual essay by film critic David Cairns
- A Great Adventure, an archive interview with assistant director John Glen
- Dougie, Chic and Me, an archive interview with focus puller Robin Vidgeon
- One Man Army, an archive interview with film critic Sheldon Hall
- Theatrical trailer
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Peter Strain
- Illustrated collectorâs booklet featuring new writing by film critic Philip Kemp
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.