Release Date: 09/19/23
In 1998, director Hideo Nakata (Dark Water) unleashed a chilling tale of technological terror on unsuspecting audiences, which redefined the horror genre, launched the J-horror boom in the West and introduced a generation of moviegoers to a creepy, dark-haired girl called Sadako. The film's success spawned a slew of remakes, reimaginations and imitators, but none could quite boast the power of Nakata's original masterpiece, which melded traditional Japanese folklore with contemporary anxieties about the spread of technology.
A group of teenage friends are found dead, their bodies grotesquely contorted, their faces twisted in terror. Reiko (Nanako Matsushima, When Marnie Was There), a journalist and the aunt of one of the victims, sets out to investigate the shocking phenomenon, and in the process uncovers a creepy urban legend about a supposedly cursed videotape, the contents of which causes anyone who views it to die within a week - unless they can persuade someone else to watch it, and, in so doing, pass on the curse...
Arrow Video is proud to present Ringu, the film that started it all, restored from the original negative in glorious high definition and supplemented by a wealth of bonus materials.
|Label: Arrow Video|
|Run Time: 95 mins|
- Brand new, exclusive 4K restoration from the original camera negative by Arrow Films
- 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- Lossless Japanese DTS-HD master audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0 soundtracks
- Optional English subtitles
- Audio commentary by film historian David Kalat
- The Ringu Legacy â a series of interviews from critics and filmmakers on their memories of the Ringu series and its enduring legacy
- A Vicious Circle â a video interview with author and critic Kat Ellinger on the career of Hideo Nakata
- Circumnavigating Ringu â a video essay by author and critic Alexandra Heller-Nicholas on the evolution of the Ringu series
- Spooks, Sighs and Videotape â a video essay by critic Jasper Sharp on the J-horror phenomenon
- Sadakoâs video
- Theatrical trailers
- Limited edition packaging featuring two artwork options
- Double-sided fold-out poster featuring two artwork options
- Illustrated collectorâs booklet featuring writing on the film by Violet Lucca and Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.