A new look at the face of evil
In a career spanning four decades and encompassing virtually every genre under the sun, Mario Bava inspired multiple generations of filmmakers, from Dario Argento to Martin Scorsese and Tim Burton. Best remembered for his gothic horror movies, for his final feature, Shock, he eschewed the grand guignol excesses of Black Sabbath or Blood and Black Lace for a more intimate portrait of mental breakdown in which true horror comes from within.
Dora (Daria Nicolodi, Deep Red) moves back into her old family home with her husband, Bruno (John Steiner, Tenebrae), and Marco (David Colin Jr., Beyond the Door), her young son from her previous marriage. But domestic bliss proves elusive as numerous strange and disturbing occurrences transpire, while Dora is haunted by a series of nightmares and hallucinations, many of them involving her dead former husband. Is the house itself possessed? Or does Dora's increasingly fragile grip on reality originate from somewhere far closer to home?
Released in the United States as a sequel to Ovidio G. Assonitis's Beyond the Door, Shock more than lives up to its name, proving that, even at this late stage in his career, Bava hadn't lost his touch for terror. Now restored in high definition for the first time, the Maestro of the Macabre's chilling swansong disturbs like never before in this feature-laden release from Arrow Video.
- High Definition Blu-rayâ¢ (1080p) presentation
- Brand new 2K restoration from the original 35mm camera negative by Arrow Films
- Original Italian and English front and end titles and insert shots
- Restored original lossless mono Italian and English soundtracks
- Newly translated English subtitles for the Italian soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English soundtrack
- New audio commentary by Tim Lucas, author of Mario Bava: All the Colors of the Dark
- A Ghost in the House, a new video interview with co-director and co-writer Lamberto Bava
- Via DellâOrologio 33, a new video interview with co-writer Dardano Sacchetti
- The Devil Pulls the Strings, a new video essay by author and critic Alexandra Heller-Nicholas
- Shock! Horror! â The Stylistic Diversity of Mario Bava, a new video appreciation by author and critic Stephen Thrower
- The Most Atrocious Tortur(e), a new interview with critic Alberto Farina
- Italian theatrical trailer
- 4 US âBeyond the Door IIâ TV spots
- Image gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Christopher Shy
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectorâs booklet featuring new writing on the film by Troy Howarth, author of The Haunted World of Mario Bava
Cast & CrewActors:
- Daria Nicolodi
- John Steiner
- Ivan Rassimov
- Lamberto Bava
Director: Mario Bava
Label: Arrow Video
Run Time: 95 mins
Release Date: 01/18/22
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.