Release Date: 11/10/20
The Asian Cult Cinema Dystopian Punk Rock Musical / Sci-Fi Action Classic!
Burst City is an explosive Molotov cocktail of dystopian sci-fi, Mad Max-style biker wars against yakuza gangsters and the police, and riotous performances from members of the real-life Japanese punk bands The Stalin, The Roosters, The Rockers and INU.
In a derelict industrial wasteland somewhere on the outskirts of Tokyo, two rival punk bands and their unruly mobs of fans gather for a Battle of the Bands-style protest against the construction of a nuclear powerplant, bringing them head to head with the yakuza industrialists behind the development of their turf.
This extraordinary celebration of Japan's punk music scene of the early 1980s thrust SÅgo Ishii (now known by the name of GakuryÅ« Ishii), the underground filmmaking wunderkind behind such works as Half Human: EinstÃ¼rzende Neubauten (1986), Angel Dust (1994) and Electric Dragon 80,000V (2001), to the next level and is regularly cited as an early landmark in Japanese cyberpunk cinema.
|Label: Arrow Video|
|Genre: Sci Fi/Fantasy|
|Run Time: 115 mins|
- High Definition Blu-rayTM (1080p) presentation
- Original lossless mono Japanese soundtrack
- Optional English subtitles
- Brand new audio commentary by Japanese film expert Tom Mes
- The Punk Spirit of â82: SÅgo Ishii on Burst City, an exclusive new 56-minute interview with the director
- Bursting Out, an exclusive 27-minute interview with the academic and independent filmmaker Yoshiharu Tezuka on jishu eiga and the making of Burst City
- Original Trailer
- Image Gallery
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Chris Malbon
- FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by Mark Player
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.